“Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t – you’re right”, Henry Ford
People who are self-confident tend to be admired many times by others and can inspire others with confidence. They can appear to be more of a risk taker because their confidence allows them to face many of their fears head-on, unlike those with less confidence. They typically are full of positive energy regardless of what they are going through in life. They simply see that the world is filled with options and opportunities and believe their glass is at least half full. What a great way to go through life! Having more confidence should be on everyone’s list of goals in their life plan.
Think about this: if U don’t believe in yourself, why would U expect others to? Self-confidence is a state of mind that comes from a belief in your own abilities, skills and experience. It can be improved through training, talking with other people and personal development.
Here are some things that will help U boost or increase your confidence levels. Some of them might sound very superficial, but they work:
- ¨ Groom yourself properly; showering, shaving or putting on makeup is somewhat of a basic thought, but when U do these things, to the extent of your own style, U feel good about U, and that helps your confidence.
- ¨ Now that your body is clean, the clothing U put on is also important and can build your confidence. Dressing for the occasion and to your own style makes U feel good about yourself, U feel more successful and others may see U that way, and again, will increase your confidence.
- ¨ Think and act positively, it builds; don’t think or act negatively, it destroys.
- ¨ Much confidence comes from knowing who U are, your values, your principles and the direction U want your life to go. When U study the material for an exam thoroughly, U are confident U will do well, right? When U prepare a life plan, which helps U understand in which direction U want to head, that builds self-confidence as well.
- ¨ Life is filled with many challenges that need to be overcome, don’t look at them as problems; instead focus on the solutions that bring the challenge under control by your terms. That change in view can make all the difference.
- ¨ Be generous to others. Giving makes us feel good inside, and our gifts can help others in need. Confident people give and help others.
- ¨ Become an active person. Exercise regularly, get out and go places, meet others, and engage in your life. All of these activities build up your confidence and self-esteem. This is your life; enjoy it, don’t hide from it.
- ¨ Explain something U understand and know well to others. Maybe U are knowledgeable on a specific sport, have a hobby where U have an above average level of experience with or U experienced something unique that U can share as somewhat of an expert.
- ¨ Work on developing yourself into the character U see as your future self in your own life story and make U a better U as part of your life long plan. Add more knowledge, develop more skills and create new experiences in your life. When U work harder on U, U will feel more prepared to take on and deal with anything that comes up with confidence.
Summary of Things That Build Confidence:
- ¨ Positive thinking, looking for the good in things
- ¨ Work on becoming a better U
- ¨ Add exercise and activity to your life, be active
- ¨ Meet new people
- ¨ Give yourself credit for being U
- ¨ Avoid negative people, places and thoughts
- ¨ Learn from mistakes, (“all of us” make them)
- ¨ Develop plans, take action and do things
- ¨ Be prepared; creating a life plan will help with this while also building confidence
- ¨ Learn a new skill or ability
U Can Learn More About Confidence by Reading These Books:
- ¨ Self Love: The Most Important Habits to Master Self Love, Self Confidence and Self Awareness by Lucas Bailly
- ¨ The Confidence Gap: A Guide to Overcoming Fear and Self-Doubt by Russ Harris
- ¨ The 21-Day Self-Confidence Challenge by 21-Day Challenges
- ¨ Building Confidence: Get Motivated, Overcome Social Fear, Be Assertive, and Empower Your Life For Success by Barrie Davenport
By Gary Kiecker